Estate and asset protection planning provides solutions to the following types of concerns:
- How will I avoid the cost and inconvenience of probate for my spouse and children?
- If I can’t make legal, financial, or healthcare decisions for myself, how can I be sure my wishes are carried out?
- How can I make sure my wealth and possessions end up in the right hands when I’m gone?
- My spouse needs more care than I can give. Will we lose everything to pay for care, or are there options?
- My child is disabled. How can I provide for her future?
- What legacy will I leave?
For many clients, the best solution is a revocable trust, often referred to as a living trust.
Again, a revocable trust may provide the answer. In addition, every client needs a durable power of attorney and a health care proxy appointing a trusted individual to make financial and health care decisions for you when you no longer can yourself.
Wills and trusts are vehicles for passing on your assets to those you choose. Many clients are concerned about funds they leave to their children being at risk of their children’s creditors, spouses upon divorce, or simply bad decisions their children may make. For them, a family protection trust can provide the protection they seek. In addition, proper planning will prevent the payment of unavoidable estate taxes upon your death.
Not if you plan properly, the earlier, the better. There are a number of planning options available to spouses of nursing home residents to protect their financial well-being while qualifying their ill spouse for MassHealth coverage of nursing home fees.
We have helped many parents of children with special needs plan for their children through the creation of a special needs trust funded with life insurance.
Your greatest legacy of course is the children and grandchildren you raise, if any, and the memories you leave with your family, friends, and work colleagues. However, support of charities and an estate plan that provides for your family and smoothly passes on what you leave behind will also contribute greatly to the legacy you leave and your family’s welfare for decades to come.