Valentine’s Day is only a couple of weeks away, and love and marriage are in the air; but going hand in hand with love and marriage should be the wisdom to protect yourself and your beloved with a prenuptial agreement. We know that most people don’t consider prenuptial agreements a very romantic gesture, but here are 5 reasons why the bum rap of the prenup is undeserved.
1. Prenups encourage couples to think and talk about the future. The process of writing a prenup includes talking about what each party brings with them to the marriage, and how each partner envisions that contribution fitting into the whole as they create their lives together.
2. Agreeing to a prenup is often the very thing that makes marriage possible for two people who come from complicated backgrounds or disapproving families. This is not only true of young people from families with “old money,” but also of elderly couples whose grown children may disapprove of a blending of finances so late in life.
3. Having a prenup means that a couple has studied their finances separately, dealt with any lingering trouble spots before the wedding, and can now move forward in their marriage together, with clear minds and bright futures.
4. A prenuptial agreement bestows security because it requires the agreement of both partners. This mutual agreement ensures that both partners feel they will be provided for as they desire and deserve, no matter what happens.
5. A prenup is the perfect lead-in to an estate plan. The information-gathering and decision-making process for creating a prenup is very similar to the process of creating an estate plan. Couples who execute a prenup before they marry have a head start on creating the estate plan they will want to protect their family after they’re married.
The bottom line is that prenuptial agreements will help protect you, your beloved, your family, and your future… and there’s nothing more romantic than that. Our firm can help you decide if a prenup is right for you and your partner—contact us today.