Because you had an excellent retirement plan, you were able to retire a few years earlier than you had anticipated. Not having to go to work has freed up a lot of extra time for you to do as you please.

In addition to golf, mountain biking and traveling, you enjoy spending more quality time with the grandchildren. In fact, you have them over quite often for overnight visits. They have fun, you enjoy yourself, it’s been a wonderful experience.

But you need to be careful. In 2017, over 52,000 children under the age of six were treated in emergency rooms across America for poisoning. That is an eye-opening number. There are several reasons for the accidental ingestion of a toxic substance. Some of the reasons include products that are intriguing to young children and packaging that is not childproof.

Much has changed over the years to help prevent poisonings, like childproof caps, for example, but grandparents like you still play a major role in making sure your grandchildren are safe.

Go into the kitchen and take a look under the sink, it will be full of various containers. There is a pretty good chance that you have a can of Raid down there or some other toxic chemicals. The last place you want to store toxic chemicals in a house with kids is under the sink. It’s just too easy for the kids to get into it.

Goldberg and Associates, your elder law firm in Atlanta, offers tips to help prevent poisonings.

Put Things Away

When you are done with the cold medicine or floor cleaner, put it away where it belongs. You should be storing chemicals in a palace that is out of reach of the children. It is also a good idea to lock these things up to be super safe. It might be a little inconvenient, but worth it for peace of mind.

Medicine is Never to be Treated Like Candy

It is important that the kids take their medications as ordered by the doctor. But you should never call medicine “candy” in an effort to persuade them to take it. In calling medicine candy, your grandchildren are at an increased risk of consuming what they should not or consuming more than what is necessary.

Properly Dispose of Old Medications

Any expired or unused medications that you have in your home should be gathered up right away and properly disposed of. Just by getting rid of medications you don’t need anymore, you lower the risk of accidental poisoning.

Mix the old medications in some dirt, used coffee grounds or cast litter. Then place it in a bag or two and tie it off. Then put the bag near the bottom of the garbage can. In doing so, you minimize the risk of accidental ingestion.

Read the Labels

Whatever type of medications you are giving your grandchildren, whether it’s over-the-counter or prescription, read the entire label before administering it. Make sure you follow these instructions very closely. If you aren’t sure about something, give your doctor or the pharmacist a call.

Be a Good Teacher

It is important that you teach your grandkids the dangers of poisons when they are young. You need to ensure they know never to consume anything they know nothing about. Teach them to come to you when they find something they want to try.

The Dangers are Real

It is far too easy to downplay the dangers of cleaners, medications and other poisonous products. You would never think twice about leaving pet shampoo out in the open after bathing Fido, but it could poison your grandchildren.

Children are very curious and a bottle of dog shampoo, all pretty and colorful in a fun bottle, is very tempting. Next thing you know, you are rushing your grandchild to the emergency room.

Check and Check Again

Before putting away any medicine, cleaner or chemical, check to make sure you have sealed it up properly. And then check it again just to make sure. It will only take a minute and besides, you have plenty of time to do the job right.

Never Mix Chemicals

When mixing chemicals, there is the chance you could come up with a deadly combination. This includes household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia can create toxic vapors that are extremely dangerous.

Keep Products in Their Original Packaging

It might help you keep things better organized by putting the rat poison pellets in a plastic container, but you shouldn’t. Do not replace original packaging for other boxes, bottles or other household containers. And it is a really bad idea to put chemicals in food containers, you get why. The only thing that should go in food containers is your leftover tuna sandwich and other food items.

If you want to retire early to spend time with your grandkids, give Goldberg and Associates a call.